FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Forum Censorship

<<

sky_lark

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:50 pm

Forum Censorship

"T[r]oll" without the brackets or quotes reverts to Troll

"T[u]rret" without the brackets or quotes reverts to Turret

Neither of these make any sense. What's wrong with the word "t[r]oll"? It is a legitimate way to describe a specific type of jerk. Ok, so being called a t[r]oll might be offensive to some, but so is jerk. Why isn't jerk censored? Words shouldn't be censored based on how they might be used, but rather on their literary meaning if it is offensive. ;) If there's someone that is excessively calling another a t[r]oll, then they should be given a warning, but the word shouldn't be censored.

Interestingly, words that seemingly would be considered offensive are not censored (forgive the cursing):

[[ examples deleted ]]

And t[u]rret? Seriously? What the hell is a turrent, anyway? Oh, gotcha. Frankly, I don't find anything wrong with the word "turret"... it's not 100% accurate but it is pretty close and actually recognized in most English dictionaries. More importantly, I find it silly that we should be restricted to how we refer to a gameplay object. There's never been a problem with calling a laserbeam a forcefield or vice versa. What's the big deal now?

Those are the only two that I've found, but there might be more. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for why t[r]oll is censored, but I'm annoyed that t[u]rret is censored. What gives?
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

raptor

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Forum Censorship

I guess I'll turn off the word 'censors'. One of the moderators turned it on as a joke....

Return to MetaForum