FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Advertisement?

<<

amgine

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: Advertisement?

you would take the donations and put it into a better server system so there is no more Lag or Ping timed outs

Currently i think when you create a server its hosted on your own computer and the master connects you around the world why not just have it when people create a game its hosted on the Bf master server as a server ?

edit : im completly not sure about the servers working this way its just a guess.

Agree we need a single player campign also a mobile app version like andriod iphone would help.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 pm

amgine wrote:also a mobile app version like andriod iphone would help.

As previously discussed, a mobile app is currently a no-go due to difficulty implementing the Bitfighter controls. If you imagine, players must be able to (a) move left/right/up down, (b) turn their ship to move and fire, (c) actually fire, accelerate, and use modules. The combination of all of these control schemes, plus extras like loadout changes and chatting makes for a tough app to build.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2248&p=22638#p22638

A dev should be able to offer more insight if you insist.
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 am

Hosting all games centrally would actually increase ping times for those not near the server. Hosting locally makes things better when playing with friends, playing behind a firewall, and all sorts of other scenarios.
<<

amgine

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:48 pm

thats incorrect?? every other multiplayer popular online games are centrally hosted like minecraft or world or warcraft?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Fordcars

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Minecraft is hosted locally :O

Besides, it would require lots of $$
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

raptor

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:24 am

No game, however popular, is hosted centrally in the way you think. All games use the following architecture in some manner (like us!):

User --> master server --> game server(s).

For example, when you log onto World of Warcraft, you hit the master server which then tells you about a list of other servers (or realms) that you can join. It may seem like it's just one central server, but it's not. Check here (from 2009):
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/arch ... 000-cores/

Some highlights about WoW's seemingly-central-but-not server:
- 10 data centers around the world
- 20,000 systems (13,250 server blades)
- 75,000 CPU cores
- 112.5 terabytes of blade RAM
- 1.3 petabytes of storage

Here is bitfighter's central server:
- 1 data center
- 1 system (1/32? of a server blade)
- 2? CPU cores
- 512 MB RAM
- 10 GB storage

The biggest issue I see in comparing them is the fact that we only have *one* data center. This means that it is very hard for people around the world to get a good connection. This is why we like people to host their own servers as they will make easier for someone in another place to have a good connection.
<<

sky_lark

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:47 pm

raptor wrote:The biggest issue I see in comparing them is the fact that we only have *one* data center. This means that it is very hard for people around the world to get a good connection. This is why we like people to host their own servers as they will make easier for someone in another place to have a good connection.

What do you think would be the cost-benefit outcome of paying for a second data center?
<<

Fordcars

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Well right now the Master is only used for getting the server list and bitfighter.org I think, so not much?
<<

raptor

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:11 pm

So our 'data center' is used for the master server, yes. But we do host a couple of game servers on it.

Since it is so easy to set up a game server and have the master show everyone it is there, it makes more sense for us to encourage others to have a server up in a different part of the world to handle distance issues.

But then it comes back to having the player base to get people to do that..
<<

sky_lark

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:02 am

Ok. So cost-benefit outcome for buying more servers in different regions might be pretty low then, due to not many players existing to take advantage of it. Or maybe more players would stick around to play if there were less laggy servers?
<<

Fordcars

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:19 pm

I think what he is saying is to get people in Europe and Asia and Australia to host some servers :)
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:48 am

I hosted a server in Germany for a while... but it was very rarely used. I think most people would rather play with others, even if it meant more lag, than hang out on a local server waiting for a game.
<<

sky_lark

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:47 pm

watusimoto wrote:I hosted a server in Germany for a while... but it was very rarely used. I think most people would rather play with others, even if it meant more lag, than hang out on a local server waiting for a game.

This is what I was wondering, thanks for the insight.
Previous

Return to MetaForum