FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

honest rating of Bitfighter

<<

tazinator

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:14 am

honest rating of Bitfighter

i think this game is a 60% or 70% kind of game. (now 60% is not necessarily bad. )
playable and can be fun but never feels like a great, as Super Mario Bros or LoZ (NES YEAHHh). it's like a successor to asteroids for psome way

i like the core game (move ship, shoot stuff).

another 60% kind of game would be Liquid War.

umm some things i would change.
1. make tutorials and help as unneeded as possible. make is that anyone can pick up and play just like real arcade games. also forcing boredom on players is bad.
todo list here would be game video (called demos) and making loadouts something you can find out without reading the help or using tutorial. yes, reading is bad.

2. better arcade music, somehow. idk where you'd get some.

3. single player mode based on multiplayer. bitfigter is a shmup so single player should be a shmup. (shoot them up)

4. graphical touches on background. like the option to have background as images. (or something. i hear hexagons coming?)
Play my new level! Two different teams fight over a nexus: One mainly defends while the other attacks! is fun
viewtopic.php?f=33&p=21002#p21002
<<

Skybax

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:40 am

Re: honest rating of Bitfighter

Here's my honest rating of your honest rating.
Bitfighter isn't even in the same field as SMB or LoZ. Those are mainly single-player platformer adventure games. Bitfighter is none of those things.
And Bitfighter is also waaaay better than Liquid War. It has tons more variety, online multiplayer, and much much better graphics.
Anyone who has any experience with video games at all can pick up and play Bitfighter. It's a very easy to understand game. The inline help makes it even easier for newbies.
Game videos is a horrible idea. No.
I like the music.
Single-player mode is good, and it's been discussed before.
Making the background images is just weird.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

Fordcars

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Lol, I am pretty sure hexagon stars have been coded for a while now, they are just commented out

I vote Bitfighter 100% cuz im cool like that
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Actually I think it should be more of s single player mission mode where the missions get objectively harder like trying to score 4 flags in CTF
against 8 computers or having to defend your cores from being destroyed against 15 computers for 5 minutes.

( yes i realize those would be almost impossible.)
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:30 am

I'd give it an 80%. The gameplay is solid; even if the game balance is a little off, it's not nearly as far off as many other, much bigger online games. I enjoy playing Bitfighter competitively for a while, then I burn out after a good half an hour. (As people probably notice at parties and especially BBBs) So it's not insanely addictive because it's exhaustingly fast-paced and a bit mind-numbing.

I'd give the level editor 100% though.
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

tazinator

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:34 am

http://youtu.be/2oquehrePRo

When I said demo video I meant like that. After a minute or thirty seconds of doing nothing arcade games will play clips of the gameplay.(usually without music) In other words they play themselves.
Although some have an opening sequence instead. Like super mario world.

There is no reason Bitfighter couldn't have something like that.
Play my new level! Two different teams fight over a nexus: One mainly defends while the other attacks! is fun
viewtopic.php?f=33&p=21002#p21002
<<

amgine

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:22 pm

I think bolth would be great taz.

I give it 40%

1.Bad lag when on a server.
2. Hard to connect to servers
3.Games are hosted user end instead of a global server.
4.Often cant see server info
5. Player based moderation system.
6.Able to see others users i.ps
7.No global ban system.
8.Required download to play,
9.No single player mode.
10.Bulky/Sloppy instructions menu.
11. Lack of implementation of kaens tools (stardust) into bitighter.
12. Lack of varity of gameplay.
13. High server down time.
14. Graphicly Dull.
15. No leveling system

I really hate to seem rude but some of these flaws are really fatal to bitfighter and should be changed.
Last edited by amgine on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Fordcars

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:02 pm

I don't think you can see other player's IP ;) Only when you host the server, maybe we should hide this?

EDIT: I son't believe that the Devs refuse to change/fix them though. The Devs commit code each day, and try to fix the most bugs as possible, and remove the most issues from the issue list (there are around 400 I issues on there I think :O). I would love to see the graphics updated, but that would require a rewrite of the whole rendering system to update from OpenGL 1.2 to OpenGL 2+ I think.

I agree that seeing server info even when the server is Ping 999 would be neato though.

Playing the game online is totally something raptor wants. He has already *nearly* ran the server completely in Javascript, and if the Devs would port Bitfighter to OpenGL 2+, it would probably run using Google Chrome's PNaCl and maybe eventually run 100% Javascript. Sadly, porting the game to a newer OpenGL would require a lot of work.

I would love to see a Single Player mode though :D

For the whole server thing, I agree that it can be hard to connect to a server, but having the ability to host a server from your own machine feels like a privilege to me. The threeish servers running from bitfighter.org are really laggy with 4+ players. Maybe we should get better servers for bitfighter.org?

Global ban could be useful though, depending on the situation
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:05 pm

I think a better way to structure bitfighter would be to have it it its 1 big server and have a bunch of smaller servers and then on each of those would be to have (rooms) and just have people get levels from a global level list which is doable because of pleadies this would also remove client size as folders would not be on users computers.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:26 pm

@Taz -- totally agree on point #1. Have you tried the inline help? This was added in 019 at some point, and was turned off for existing players. To turn it on, go to Options>Inline Help (I think, don't have the game where I'm at). If you haven't seen it give it a try and let me know what you think. If you have tried it, let me know how it can be improved or what else we might do to achieve your goal.

#2 -- I like the music, but would always consider alternatives. I have a long-term plan to allow level designers to provide their own music, but this will require a fair bit of work.

#3 -- Also agree; this probably depends on getting better bot players, and we haven't made much progress on that front since the advent of Sbot (thanks, Sam686!!) Alternative ideas welcome!

#4 -- Yes, hopefully in 020 there will be some options for alternative backgrounds; it's a low priority, but something I've wanted to do for a while. But probably not images.
<<

Invisible

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:59 pm

I like bitfighter so much I wrote a review on it for school!

(95%)
<<

amgine

Post Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:39 pm

I think it deserves a 200% :D
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to MetaForum