FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

White Elephant Contest: Vol. 1

<<

Quartz

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 pm

White Elephant Contest: Vol. 1

:zapdance: ! White Elephant Contest ! :zapdance:

I am aware that it is not Christmas time. I am also aware that I do not give a damn.

THEME -
You are going to submit your username into this contest, and I will throw it into a random generator machine of sorts. Your name will be assigned to a random person, and in return, you will get someone else's name. Your job will then be to emulate that person's mapmaking style as best you can … If their style is seemingly beyond you, don't sweat it, just do your best; and it's not like you can't resort to humorously jabbing at their level making style if you can't do a serious map! I am intentionally leaving it very open-ended, the choice is yours' as to how to approach this. Additionally, you will learn the favorite color and favorite animal of the player you are assigned … this ought to help get the creative juices flowing, if needed.

What are the technical implications of this theme?
Most of the technical implications will be my concern and I will take care of it. However, there is the potential issue of someone submitting their name to the contest despite not having any widely-known maps. Due to this, I am going to ask that should you submit your name to this contest, please ensure that you have at least two maps of your own uploaded onto Pleiades!

The contest theme also means that there is even less mystery as to whom is involved in the contest. This isn't a problem, it ought to be a hoot regardless. ^(OvO)^

A TWIST -
You are assigned a player to emulate, and you make a map mocking their style. And yet, perhaps your thirst for level-making is left un-satiated! If this happens, feel free to let me know via PM and I will assign you yet another name so that you may make an additional map. If you want to keep PMing me for yet more assignments, that's cool with me, but only the first two will be eligible for voting. Yes, the first two, you don't get to pick -- this is how I curb your creative expression and general enthusiasm, because one person shouldn't be allowed to be that happy. It's probably against the law in several countries.

RULES -
Pretty straightforward stuff.
- Remain anonymous.
- Don't cheat the voting system.
- One map per author assignment. Read "A TWIST" above to understand what exactly I mean by this.

PRIZE -
1st place - FoOtloOse is going to make you a piece of fine Bitfighter arts and crafts (she'll take requests!), and I'll send you $10 either over PayPal, Amazon, Steam, or I'll mail it with some cute personalized drawings to go with it, just for you.
2nd place - FoOtloOse is going to make you a piece of fine Bitfighter arts and crafts (she'll take requests!), and I'll send you $5 either over PayPal, Amazon, Steam, or I'll mail it with some cute personalized drawings to go with it, just for you.

HOW TO ENTER -
Fill out this form and Private Message (PM) it to me:
  Code:
Name:
Favorite Animal:
Favorite Color:
Pleiades Portfolio:

Example:
  Code:
Name: Quartz
Favorite Animal: Otter
Favorite Color: Purple
Pleiades Portfolio: http://bitfighter.org/pleiades/users/view/80

DEADLINE INFO -
* The deadline for submitting your name is July 4th, 2:00 AM PST. Literally all you have to do is PM me with those "HOW TO ENTER" details, so just do it please. I am not going to be accepting people after this deadline, the technical implications mean it just plain won't work. I will churn the names together and give you an assignment shortly after this deadline.
* The deadline for submitting maps is July 20th, 2:00 AM PST. So basically, get it done by that Sunday night.
* The contest server will go up sometime July 20th! Last time I made promises about the time I failed and people were understandably mad at me so I'm not doing that this time. ^^
* I'd like to have an opening party, but I want to find out when works best for everyone. I'm open to suggestions.
Last edited by Quartz on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

amgine

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: White Elephant Contest: Vol. 1

I will participate.

though other then my classic remix maps all the old maps of mine are long gone sadly....,
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:16 pm

amgine wrote:I will participate.

though other then my classic remix maps all the old maps of mine are long gone sadly....,
Get at least something up on Pleiades, please. Nobody can base something off of nothing, you know.
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

Skybax

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Ohhhh this is going to be terribly and horrifically golden.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm

I put my classic remix levels on sadly I coulkd not find Detour or Swarmed Or missioon impossible RIP levels :oops:
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Skybax wrote:Ohhhh this is going to be terribly and horrifically golden.
That's what I'm hoping for!

I've got four entrants thus far … Keep it coming people. (:
<<

amgine

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Quick question what happens if there is a odd nubmer of enterants jsut wondering ;)
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Lone Wolf

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:06 pm

Uh. Pleiades? Is that... That level database thing?
I haven't made a map in ages o_o
And all my old ones are disentigrated into the nothingness of a freshly installed OS :P

EDIT: After poking around, the only map o' mine I see archived in contest submissions is the zoo one. I'm going to have to make some new maps and then enter.
if you're reading this, i'm sorry for how cringe my old posts are. i rarely play BF anymore, but if you ever want to find me, you can catch me on steam, or on discord @ muddy#7969
<<

amgine

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:26 pm

I can imagine if there is a odd nubmer of players he would jsut request a player to please do 2 maps for 2 people which I would be fine with doing...
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Hey Lone Wolf, glad to hear you're looking to join in on this! We'd love to have you.

Yes amgine, I'd do something like that.
<<

Lone Wolf

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:52 pm

amgine wrote:I can imagine if there is a odd nubmer of players he would jsut request a player to please do 2 maps for 2 people which I would be fine with doing...

Well, odd numbers can work out fine as long as not everyone is swapping. For example, you have A, B, and C.
A can have B,
B has C,
and C has A.

However, if A and B have each other, then C is left out. And I think it's intentional that people aren't just getting a map from the person they emulated. At least, from what I can tell.
if you're reading this, i'm sorry for how cringe my old posts are. i rarely play BF anymore, but if you ever want to find me, you can catch me on steam, or on discord @ muddy#7969
<<

Quartz

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
amgine wrote:I can imagine if there is a odd nubmer of players he would jsut request a player to please do 2 maps for 2 people which I would be fine with doing...

Well, odd numbers can work out fine as long as not everyone is swapping. For example, you have A, B, and C.
A can have B,
B has C,
and C has A.

However, if A and B have each other, then C is left out. And I think it's intentional that people aren't just getting a map from the person they emulated. At least, from what I can tell.

Yup, you get it. ;)
<<

amgine

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:50 pm

YEs you would have to force a situation where 2 players cannot have another otherwise you will have problems of players being left out.

Im sure theres a equation for that but im lazy :ugeek:
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:29 am

Quartz wrote:What are the technical implications of this theme?
Most of the technical implications will be my concern and I will take care of it.
<<

FoOtloOse

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:31 pm

LAST DAY TO ENTER! C'MON PEOPLE! GET INSPIRED! GET CREATIVE! HAVE FUN! Also just to be extra super duper clear because a few people I talked to were confused. THE LEVEL DEADLINE IS NOT TONIGHT! The entries are due tonight. NOT LEVELS! Which means you PM Quartz your:
Name:
Favorite Animal:
Favorite Color:
Pleiades Portfolio:
If you don't have a Pleiades Portfolio just make some maps real fast and upload them! C'mon y'all get your creativity flowing! :zapdance:
pengu? pengu!
<<

sky_lark

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Sounds like fun! Glad I decided to browse this forum an hour before the contest deadline :) For what it's worth, if you're not getting a lot of entries, I haven't checked bitfighter all weeklong due to 4th of july prep. Might be causing others to be slow.

Regarding the party, you should definitely do it when you'd like, but if you have seriously no preference any chance that could be moved? I can't guarantee I can make another day but I definitely can't make it then... that's my b-day! Haha
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

Quartz

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:36 pm

We're up to ten entrants, pretty good really.

3 1/2 hours left

I can totally move the party. I seriously have no preference, because y'all like to party at night and I'm working nights so I doubt I'll be there no matter what.
<<

Quartz

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:36 am

All ten contestants have been thrown into a random number generator and sent their assignments via PM. Good luck folks!
<<

Fordcars

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:27 am

Crap! I just realized I won't be in town July 11th+ :O So yeah, I won't make it for the party :/
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:57 am

Arg I dont htink I can make it july 14th either we could have a problem here :(
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:33 am

How does July 17th, 5 PM PST (8 PM EST) work for everyone? That would be a Friday.
<<

Skybax

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:57 pm

I should be home by then. Maybe a little late. But I should definitely be able to catch that.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
<<

Santiago ZAP

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:02 pm

I bet my level imitation(s) are gonna be huge nexus maps with hella flag spawns
:zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance:
<<

amgine

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:35 am

I might have to drop out all the maps I got are almost impossible to imitate.....
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:26 am

amgine wrote:I might have to drop out all the maps I got are almost impossible to imitate.....

Quartz wrote:If their style is seemingly beyond you, don't sweat it, just do your best; and it's not like you can't resort to humorously jabbing at their level making style if you can't do a serious map! I am intentionally leaving it very open-ended, the choice is yours' as to how to approach this.

Starting to wonder why I bothered writing such a thorough first post.
<<

Quartz

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:02 am

I got a great question:

I had a question. It says to remain anonymous, but do you also have to keep the identity of the person you're mimicking anonymous?

The answer is: No. You can make it as subtle or obvious as you wish as to who you are mimicking.

6 days and 2 hours to go for submission!
<<

amgine

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 pm

I will keep trying but I think I will be unable to finish in time..... :(
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Lone Wolf

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:04 pm

So it turns out we're going on a family camping trip this weekend.

So, I won't be able to actually submit anything, unfortunately >_>
<<

amgine

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:10 pm

actully I made a calendar 8 error 14th is fine 17th is not argg darn you work schedule!
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Y'all are sissies. It takes all of 15-30 minutes to make a map. I know you kiddos aren't that swamped during the summer.

I'm extending the deadline to July 20th, 2 AM PST, and I'll move the party too. Not changing it again.
<<

Skybax

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:39 am

It takes that long if you already know what you wanna do lol

It took me two days to make mine, cause the first day I spent just mashing things together to try to squeeze out some inspiration lol
<<

amgine

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:35 pm

Im trying to duplicate a users level but its extremely hard given I dont get even 1 hou to work on it per day for it being so tough!

thanks for moving it hope I can finish some time!
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks for the deadline extension Quartz. Free time is hard to come by these days. As for the parties, Fridays and weekend nights are perfect for me. Tuesdays are impossible, and weeknights work to some extent. You should pick a date based on you preferences of course but if you could try to avoid Tuesday that'd be appreciated. :)
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

Quartz

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks for weighing in sky. I'll wait until I get my schedule for next week then pick a night I'm not working.
<<

Quartz

Post Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:58 pm

Since extending the deadline I have received no more entries! Huzzah!!

Seriously, I've got six maps and six assignments still out there. That's just depressing.
<<

furbuggy

Post Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Uhh, you didn't get mine?

Edit: submitted again, just in case.
BAM! I'm back.
<<

Quartz

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:25 pm

I've still got five map assignments out there, and there's 14 hours left to submit. I'm gonna PM some people to harass them now.
<<

Quartz

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:29 pm

2 1/2 hours and 2 assignments left. Yep yep
<<

raptor

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:06 pm

Server is up!

I like my map!
<<

Little_Apple

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Is "Circular Movement" missing flags?
Hee-ho!
<<

Skybax

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:27 pm

That looks like a definite yes.

We have a broken map!
<<

furbuggy

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:04 pm

Can we start commenting on the maps now, or do we need a new thread for that/ do we wait until after the opening party?
BAM! I'm back.
<<

Skybax

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:32 pm

We do need a new thread for the discussion, but I don't think it has to wait until the party. Voting should be after the party but I don't see why we can't discuss it lol
<<

amgine

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:09 pm

Submits map after deadline and bans self from all future contests. :(
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:20 am

I'm a little annoyed at myself that I didn't notice Circular Movement was broken. I've uploaded a fixed version, though the crappy version is still on the server. Thankfully anyone can vote to change the map. I can't fix those turrets though without changing the map significantly, so uhh...

I'm gonna go ahead and say that the party will be at 5 PM EST / 8 PM PST on Friday the 24th.

amgine it's whatever, but no offense I'm not gonna throw your map on the server given that it's a troll map with an unlimited time limit and has nothing to do with the theme. =P

I'll start the discussion thread.
<<

raptor

Post Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:24 am

I removed the bad map and restarted the server. All should be good now.
<<

amgine

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:53 pm

thanks for everyone who submitted a level Great job!
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to Contests