FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

3D/VR

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.
<<

Scary Guy

Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:11 pm

3D/VR

I figured this was an idea important enough for its own thread. A 3D/VR option much like Specter VR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahaHNOOQHSs for reference)

Just a suggestion :)
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: 3D/VR

There's no reason a 3D client couldn't be developed... but those playing in 3D would be at a huge disadvantage to their 2D brethren.
<<

Cracatoa

Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 pm

That would probably be insanely hard to implement, but I wouldn't know, I'm not a developer.

watusimoto wrote:There's no reason a 3D client couldn't be developed... but those playing in 3D would be at a huge disadvantage to their 2D brethren.

Yes, but it could be awesome for a observer mode...
The bottom statement is false.
The top statement is true.
<<

Scary Guy

Post Tue May 10, 2011 1:09 am

Well you could have a small window stuck in a corner with a map and use it like radar. That could even work now with the zoomed out map even....

Specter VR is ancient and there was an open source variant out there.... maybe you guys could use the 3D engine from that. Just an idea in any case.
<<

Scary Guy

Post Tue May 10, 2011 1:15 am

The ability to edit the posts would be a bonus so I could add that the radar could be a benefit of the sensor add-on. Or even arrows pointing at enemies on the screen so you know where they are.

Also a health bar would be nice. I finally noticed the one on the ship. Also with cloak you shouldn't be able to see enemy health (I'm not even sure if you can right now, but it would be a neat added feature.)
<<

sky_lark

Post Tue May 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Speaking of 3D... it'd be pretty damn cool to have an optional 3D anaglyph mode. :D
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

Scary Guy

Post Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:22 am

Sorry to bring this back from, wow has it been that long?

Anyway, I saw a neat thing years ago regarding a game (can't even remember what it was) where the phones were used as the controls and it had a first person view in 3D, a center screen (monitor/TV) with a sky camera 2D view, and a bunch of players around it. Games would need to be local but it was interesting to say the least.

That might not have been exactly how it was but how I wanted it to work. I also can't seem to search for it because I get hit with the sea of blogspam and other things about using your phone as a controller in general.

Obviously extremely unlikely as it would require an android port, and a 3D mode. But I always thought it was a neat idea.
<<

Fordcars

Post Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:18 am

Not entirely sure how that would play out (would it be a type of split screen?), but interesting idea nonetheless. I am definitely curious about alternative mods/spin-offs that could come out of Bitfighter, but I don't think anybody in the community has a lot of time right now to experiment.

An Android port is now definitely possible, at least on the technical side, but I think most people agree that the controls would be horrible, unless we come up with a different approach other than touchscreen controls. I did experiment on an N3DS port which played pretty well with the touchscreen, but that is probably because of the stylus, as well as all the physical buttons (and shoulder buttons).

With the Steam Deck coming out soon, I think it could make a great platform for portable Bitfighter. I'll try to borrow one when my brother gets one to see how it runs.
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Post Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:36 pm

Correct me if im wrong but isnt there something holding us back from putting bitfighter on the steam store I seem to remember attmepts were made to green light it before and failed or am I remembering right
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:01 pm

amgine wrote:something holding us back from putting bitfighter on the steam store

It costs money to submit a game for greenlight, and steam doesn't look favorably on games with no monetization.

But I think the main issue was that we'd have to incorporate Steam's SDK, which is not open source, which would violate the OSI license that the game currently has.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

Fordcars

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:33 pm

skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.

Return to Bitfighter Features