FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Quality maps

<<

sky_lark

Post Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:11 pm

Quality maps

What are your top three favorite maps that (a) you believe to be top quality, (b) weren't created by you, and (c) weren't already named by someone in this thread? Let's discuss both new creations and old classics alike.

Try to think about maps that are both fun and expertly designed, and perhaps aren't frequently mentioned (cough cough airlock). I'll start:

1. Bitwise Orrery by Qui -- This is one of the best HTF maps I've come across. It's both visually and mechanically unique, with two separate channels, each with varying pros/cons. The defenses are simple and effective, and 3 flags is perfect for this map size. The original parameter of score-to-60 is solid IMO. This map also plays well with bots and low numbers.

2. Black Hole Speed by Unknown -- Classic CTF map, arguably Unknown's hallmark. Players may either zip around the sides of the map or through the middle. Each base is heavily armed, but the quick speedways allow for pounding offense. A single laserbeam at the output of the speedways is critical for defense. This is in my mind a very tactical map. Flag holders may remain at their own base for the protection and quick getaways, a tactic that is clever but very predictable. Alternatively, they may venture into the middle to hide, but risk vulnerability if found. All in all a fun and quality map, perfect for 2v2 or 3v3.

3. Twisting Halls by Rick -- This is a zone control map featuring only 4 zones! However, each zone is burrowed deep inside tunnels littered with walls, turrets, and laserbeams. While the tunnels are not particularly tricky to access, escaping unharmed is the real challenge. Due to the length of the tunnel, opponents alerted to a zone capture often have enough time to reach the entrance of the tunnel before the flag holder has escaped. This combined with plenty of external passageways requires expert sneakiness and explosive movement. Very fun map, but really needs at least 4v4 or 5v5 to be fun.
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

Quartz

Post Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:44 am

Re: Quality maps

4. Stanza Inter by FBV-86 -- Strangely this team bitmatch, with its tight, simple corridors has inspired some of the most team-oriented bitmatches I've ever played. I like the team play this one seems to give birth to, that's all there is to it. I realize, given the author's other maps, this was probably a happy accident, but hell, intention isn't everything.

I will list a couple more at a later time. I'm on my laptop which doesn't have many maps, so I'm not remembering some of my favorites. =P
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

amgine

Post Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:47 pm

hmm Ill have to think about it.,

I hope my maps swarmed and detour on on that list.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:12 am

5. Forcefield Crossing by sam686 -- At first glance this level didn't seem like much. But after playing it and seeing the level of strategy required to master it I was sold. The level itself is fairly straightforward -- lasers form a grid of squares, allowing one team to move left and right while the other team to move up and down. The squares act as a kind of sanctuary for flag runners... until an enemy comes barreling through a row or column. It's a very nervewracking experience, trying to balance rest with fleeing.

On the other side of the coin, chasing flag runners is quite difficult. A charge through one path of lasers will only work if the flag runners don't quickly sidestep and move over one square when you come rushing in. But sometimes you get lucky, they don't move quite fast enough and you're able to move with them into another square... that's pretty intense for both players.

The level also features a narrow channel on the outside of the grid. This is useful for changing points of attack and speeding quickly to opposite sides of the arena. Highly recommend it, very tricky and fun. It's playable on Sam Test 3 and Bitbuntu right now.
<<

sky_lark

Post Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:31 pm

6. Solar Eclipse by bobdaduck -- This is one of my favorite classic competitive CTF levels. It's served as the first level for many of my parties. I needed a level that was fun, entertaining, and simple enough to capture the attention of players while I updated various social media and invited more players. It's on par with the classic stock levels in my eyes.

The level features bases, sub-bases, and hiding areas for each team. The main bases are cleanly designed and pose just enough threat to enemies to slow them down, but are not overwhelming enough to frustrate anyone. The sub-bases are located off to the side and accessed through speedzones, acting as a quick getaway should trouble occur. The hiding areas are equipped with aid and barriers to protect oneself.

In the middle of the level sits a decorative wall design, shaped to look like a sun, and is enthroned by several testitems. What I like most about this feature is that on most playthroughs, the testitems aren't even noticed. But should they be dislodged from their mantles, they quickly turn into a barrage of obstacles that both aid and impair gameplay. Solar Eclipse is definitely worth a playthrough!
<<

amgine

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Bumped old topic deserves some love :)

Curly Q dunno who made it but its a Zap Original map I fondly remeber how everyone would get stuck in the loops.... :)
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to General Map/Server